Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google BookmarksSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn


Dental Services

Home educated students are entitled to access the school dental service provided by the De-partment of Health. Use this link to locate a clinic close to you, then telephone the school dentist for an appointment:

Student Travel Permits - SmartRider Cards

Home educated students are entitled to travel permits (known as a 'SmartRider' card) which provide student concessions on public transport. These permits are made available by the Department of Transport, to download an application form to apply use this link:

If you wish your child to be issued with a Student SmartRider you should contact a Transperth Infor-mation Office. You will need to provide student information and proof that you are registered as the child’s home educator. A fee of $5.00 is made for the purchase of the card.

Swimming Classes

Home educated students of primary school age are entitled to access in-term swimming classes by arrangement through the local public primary school (for metropolitan students) and through the local education regional office (for country students).
For further information please contact VacSwim on 9345 4007 or use this link:

Student allowances - Secondary Assistance Scheme (SAS)

The Student Assistance Scheme is intended to provide assistance to secondary students in meet-ing the costs of books and uniforms and includes eligible home-educated students. To be eligible for the allowance the parent/guardian must hold a Centrelink Family Health Care Card, a Centre-link Pensioner Concession Card or a Veterans’ Affairs Pensioner Concession card that represents a statement of income for the family.

The allowance consists of two components:

  • $115 Clothing Allowance paid directly to the parent/guardian.
  • $235 Educational Program Allowance paid directly to the parent/guardian.

Application is made by the parent or guardian for student/s registered for study in Years 7 – 12. The allowance is paid up to and including the year the student turns 17 years of age.  Application forms are available from Education Regional Offices. Applications must be received by the Schools Resourcing Branch (9264 4516) by the last day of term 1 of the current school year.

Tax Benefits

Any tax or Centrelink benefits available for school students are also available for home-educated students.